GB: A horse named after jockey Frankie Dettori has lost the use of an eye and was in danger of having to be put down after being hit by a stray firework set off during Bonfire Night.
Dettori, a 21-year-old rescue horse, was turned out in a field with other horses at a livery yard when a large fireworks display took place on neighbouring land.
The noise from the display spooked the horses, who trampled down a fence, and when Dettori was caught his eye was found to have been severely damaged.
According to a post by his owner, 21-year-old student Charley Taylor, a firework hit Dettori directly in his eye “pushing his eye so far into the socket that all the fluid has come out and filled with blood”.
She said she was left with two options: “Dettori can be put to sleep, or he can go for an operation to get his eye removed. In the words of our vet ‘the damage is so severe it is irreversible’.”
A veterinary examination has now established that Dettori, who was badly traumatised by the incident, is well enough to undergo the surgery and won’t need to be put down.
A GoFundMe page set up to help pay for Dettori’s treatment has already raised more than £13,000, quickly exceeding its £1,200 target. Any remaining money will be donated to the Scottish SPCA and World Horse Welfare.