• A weekly round-up of international horse racing snippets
GB 12,000 to attend Royal Ascot
Royal Ascot will be allowed to host up to 12,000 visitors during each day of the meeting after it was selected to be part of the government’s Events Research Programme. Racing leaders see the meeting as an opportunity to demonstrate the sport’s suitability for safely hosting spectators in greater numbers as COVID-19 lockdown restrictions ease.
France Skalleti wins first G1, Mosse gets long ban
Skalleti is no longer the best horse in France not to win a G1 after finally making his breakthrough at the top level with a last-stride victory in the Prix d’Ispahan.
The grey gelding registered his Marseille-based trainer Jerome Reynier’s first G1 success too as he arrived late to pip Tilsit and My Oberon at ParisLongchamp. He will now have a break before being aimed at the Champion Stakes, in which he was runner-up to Addeybb last year.
Winning jockey Gerald Mosse collected a 16-day ban for striking the horse eight times with his whip, to add to a six-day sentence for a similar breach a day earlier.
• Read more at the France Galop website
USA CHRB let Baffert continue
The California Horse Racing Board noted that though Baffert had been temporarily barred from making entries in two states, no action had been taken against his licence, therefore there would be no reciprocation.
At the same time the CHRB said it was reviewing the death of an unraced Baffert-trained two-year-old called Noodles, who suffered a fatality at Los Alamitos.
• Read more at the Paulick Report
Australia No more Derby fireworks from Explosive Jack
Explosive Jack found the Queensland Derby one Derby too far as he finished an admirable third in the Eagle Farm G1, just a length behind Kuckeracha who clinched a Chris Waller one-two.
Explosive Jack was seeking a fourth Derby of the season, having already won the Tasmanian, Australian and South Australian Derbys. Co-trainer David Eustace said he will now be pointed at a Cups campaign.
• Read more at Racing.com
Japan Contrail and Uberleben sidelined
Last year’s Triple Crown hero Contrail will miss the Takarazuka Kinen later this month and is to be given more time off. The four-year-old colt finished third on his first start of the year in the Osaka Hai and trainer Yoshita Yahagi said he is still showing signs of tiredness.
Uberleben, winner of the Yushun Himba (Japanese Oaks), will also be out for a while after she was found to have suffered some tendon damage.
USA Mystic Guide likely to return in Suburban
Dubai World Cup winner Mystic Guide is set to have his first race since his victory in Meydan in the G1 Suburban Handicap at Belmont Park on July 3. Trainer Mike Stidham reported his stable star had come out of his trip to the Middle East “in extraordinary shape”.
• Read more at the Stidham Racing website