• A weekly round-up of international horse racing snippets
GB Adayar set for King George
Godolphin’s Derby winner Adayar is likely to have his next start in the King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes at Ascot on July 24, with Epsom third Hurricane Lane heading to the Irish Derby.
“Without rubberstamping anything, the discussions taking place at the moment are that we will give this horse a bit more time and look towards going to a King George with him,” said trainer Charlie Appleby.
“After that we can see what he is like against the older horses there and if he happens to win a King George we can work back from an Arc. If he gets beat in a King George then we revert back to our original plan, which was going down the St Leger route.”
• Read more at the Cazoo Derby Festival website
Ireland Bolshoi Ballet struck into
Aidan O’Brien has been told by his vets that Bolshoi Ballet may miss only seven to ten days of training as he recovers from being struck into during the Derby, in which he finished seventh as 11-8 favourite.
Having reviewed recordings of the race, the trainer has concluded that the incident, which resulted in a cut to his right hind leg, must have taken place in the first 150 yards.
• Read more at the Racing Post
USA Kumin and partners stick with Baffert
Leading owner Sol Kumin’s Madaket Stables will continue to back beleaguered Bob Baffert – despite the trainer’s two-year ban from Churchill Downs after Kentucky Derby winner Medina Spirit tested positive for a banned substance.
Kumin, who is in a partnership with Starlight Racing and SF Bloodstock, nicknamed ‘The Avengers’, told the Bloodhorse: “We bought over 30 two-year-olds that we plan to send to Bob. We have sent about 25 already. We plan to continue to support him.”
• Read more at the Bloodhorse
GB The Tin Man retired
An injury on the gallops has led to the retirement of James Fanshawe’s sprinting stalwart The Tin Man. The nine-year-old had career earnings of £1.27m and nine wins, three at G1 level including the 2017 Diamond Jubilee Stakes.
• Visit the James Fanshawe website
USA Coupling rule set to be uncoupled
The antiquated New York rule that resulted in horses ridden by married jockeys Trevor McCarthy and Katie Davis at Aqueduct this year having to be coupled for betting purposes is a step neared to being dismantled.
A bill to remove the rule has passed both the New York Assembly and Senate and will take effect immediately if signed into law by the governor.
• Read more at the Thoroughbred Daily News
South Africa Hawwaam home to stud
Hawwaam, the South African champion who was transferred to William Haggas earlier this year, will take up stud duties at Wilgerbosdrift Stud in South Africa for the 2021 breeding season. Champion three-year-old in 2018-2019, he won ten of 13 starts, including five at G1 level.
• Read more at the Mike de Kock website
Hong Kong Luke Ferraris to join dad David in HK
Top South African jockey Luke Ferraris will join his father, trainer David, in Hong Kong after being granted a six-month licence. Champion apprentice in South Africa for the last two seasons, Ferraris has ridden over 300 winners including 20 Group or Listed successes, five at G1 level.
Harry Bentley is among other jockeys to have secured new licences for the first half of the next season.
• Read more at the Hong Kong Jockey Club website
USA Voice of Del Mar coming baaaack
Celebrated racing commentator Trevor Denman, whose distinct racecalling has been silent since the COVID outbreak, will return to the booth for the 31-day Del Mar summer meet which starts in July.
Denman, 68, who called every race at the track between 1984 and 2019, stayed on his farm in Minnesota rather than travel to the seaside course last year.
• Read more at the Del Mar website