By Jon Lees
Australia: Glen Boss has been forced to abandon his attempt to team up with Melbourne Cup favourite Incentivise next month after he was ordered to get out of his quarantine location.
The three-time Cup-winning jockey, who had been picked over Craig Williams and Jamie Kah to ride the Peter Moody-trained stayer at the Melbourne Spring Carnival, was required to complete two weeks in isolation before entering Victoria under COVID-19 protocols.
Boss was released from his commitments in Sydney by RacingNSW stewards on Wednesday after being accepted at a quarantine facility in Darwin, Northern Territory – but when he arrived there he was told his application had been cancelled.
“We had been here four hours when two policemen knocked on our door and told us we could no longer quarantine there and had to leave the Northern Territory,’’ Boss told Racenet.
“I could get upset about it but that won’t change anything. It’s very disappointing because we followed all the protocols and our application to quarantine here was initially approved.
“For some reason, we are being drawn back to Sydney – that’s the way I look at it. I’ll go back home, work hard and concentrate on the Sydney spring carnival.’’
Boss’s experience means it is unlikely any out-of-state jockeys will be permitted to ride at the Melbourne Spring Carnival.
Williams could now be back in the frame for Incentivise, who is due to reappear on September 11 in the Makybe Diva Stakes, the race named after the horse Boss rode to a hat-trick of Cup wins in 2003, 2004 and 2005.
• Read more at Racenet.com